Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The objective quality of life: my perspective.

(1) I have no terminal disease or remarkable physical impairment.  I am healthy and not overweight.
(2) I have a warm, dry, safe place to sleep.
(3) I have an elegant sufficiency of food.
(4) I collect more than enough clean, fresh water.

Today, as at the end of every month, my bank balance is zero. I have no savings or investments. That is purely by choice.  I cannot go to the store or out to dinner until Saturday if should wish to.  I cannot go to the mainland or on vacation; but most of the world wants to vacation in Hawaii so that is not a factor for me.  I have been where I wanted to go.

I own my home and enough land to grow food for about thirty people. I have no debt. I don't have to be anywhere at all or, if I go somewhere, at any particular time.  My truck is three years old and has 15,000 miles on it.

By happenstance I am single.  By choice I have no TV and do not read the newspaper. I have 50 tomato plants sprouted, ginger, sweet potato, pumpkin, lettuce, onion, chives, gold lilikoi, thirty white pineapple, four kinds of peppers and maybe some cucumber.  If I find an investor who will help me with a covered growing area and a fence around the property, I will plant the entire acre.  Friends bring me fish and eggs; the farmer's market is within walking distance.  Meat comes down from Honoka'a once a week.

My quality of life is 10 on a 10 scale.  How could it not be?


Follow me at http://drtom.posterous.com\

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
- President Thomas Jefferson

Posted via email from Thus knowledge flows like water

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you think. But think first.